Organizing your home or workspace can be a daunting task, especially if it doesn’t come easily to you or you’re feeling overwhelmed. I often hear self-blame and shame from clients about their home’s state of affairs. Although these feelings may have provided some of the inspiration to reach out for my help, they otherwise aren’t serving anyone. It really is important to practice self-compassion when trying to get organized, in any difficult endeavor, and frankly at all times. Here are a few tips to help you cultivate self-compassion in your organizing journey.
- Recognize that it’s a process: Organizing takes time, effort, and energy. It’s important to acknowledge that it’s a process and that it won’t happen overnight. Be patient with yourself and celebrate small wins along the way.
- Reframe your thoughts: Instead of beating yourself up for not being naturally organized, reframe your thoughts to focus on what you can do. For example, instead of saying “I’m so disorganized,” try saying “I’m learning how to be more organized.”
- Take breaks: It’s important to take breaks when you’re feeling overwhelmed or frustrated. Step away from the task at hand and do something that you enjoy, like going for a walk or reading a book. This will help you come back to the work with a fresh perspective.
- Practice self-care: When we’re discouraged or overwhelmed, we sometimes neglect self-care. Make sure to take care of your physical, emotional, and mental needs. Eat well, get enough sleep, and do things that make you happy.
- Embrace imperfection: Perfectionism can be a major roadblock when it comes to organizing. Despite what Instagram and others have to say, there is no perfection in organizing! Or any aspect of life for that matter. Embrace imperfection and acknowledge the systems that work for you.
- Be kind to yourself: Treat yourself as you would a child or best friend: with kindness and compassion throughout the organizing process. How is being unkind to yourself helpful? I argue that it’s not.
Practicing self-compassion is essential for success in any undertaking, including organizing. Which of these tips can you try today? Every small gesture is a step in the right direction.